Thursday, March 09, 2006

Work: Jeff's Last Day

Jeff is a friend and coworker. We've worked together on projects on and off over the last 7 years I've been at the company, he's been there for 10.

Tomorrow is his last day. For most people I'm very sad when they leave. I know there is a good chance I may never see them again, or at least very rarely. Jeff has decided to go to China to learn mandarin. So while I don't expect I'll never see him again, it's not like he's going to be around.

Jeff hasn't enjoyed working at the company since the day I met him, my first day in the office. I think one of the first things he said was "I've got to get out of here." While I don't expect this is entirely true, it is mostly true. He is a very loyal and responsible person. He very carefully timed his departure to be at the end of a project cycle.

The difference with Jeff's departure over other people's departures is I'm very happy. When other people have left, they've basically gone to do the same job somewhere else. Jeff has not only quit a job he hasn't enjoyed, he's decided to pursue something he's talked about doing for a few years now.

It's an odd felling for me. I'm glad to see him go. And this feeling of happiness at his departure has overridden any feelings that I'll miss him.

All the best in China Jeff. I suspect I will miss you at some point, but right now I'm just glad to see you go.

No comments: