Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sculpture: Seated Man

(November 2003)
This pose begins a long series of male poses. Most with the same model. I'm not fond of sculpting the male form. I'll be honest it doesn't hold much appeal for me. I don't mind doing one from time to time. It's good practice and there are striking differences in the male and female form. However this is the start of almost a year and a half of strictly male models.

This wasn't the fault of the school. Although they were bring in more male models then usual, it was mostly the result of bad timing on my part. I had to switch the night of the class I was taking twice. When I did it just happened to work out that the model was switching nights too. And then I chose to cast a piece and work on the Pony Tail. I happened to do this when female models where posing. It was all just bad timing.

Anyway, I do like this piece. I also like the pose. It's one of the most crunched up pose I've done. Because sculpture poses have to be held so long, it's rare for a model to take a pose that's in any way uncomfortable. Or at least to the extent that holding any pose for 3 hours is uncomfortable, they rarely do anything that increases the discomfort.

The one nice thing about male models is their musculature is much more obvious. This is one the good thing about sculpting the male form. You get a better idea what is under the skin. This helps when working on the softer female form.

As with most of the sculptures I've shown, this is not a complete composition. If I had decided to complete it there are several things I would have done to clean it up. For one the head would be less skeletal. I would have done something more detailed with the hands. In particular I would have figured out why I gave him 6 fingers on his left hand and a mitt for his right hand. Probably would made the lump he is sitting on into something too.

No comments: