Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Sculpture: On Her Side

(October 2003)
I really like this pose. Had I sculpted it at a different time I probably would have kept it. But at this point the sculpture classes had just started up again and in the spring classes I had gone through the arduous task of casting the Pony Tail. I wanted to model, not work on casting again.

As you can see I had fun with texture in this one. This effect is created by a tool called a rake. It is basically a wire loop stuck into a wooden handle. A finer wire is coiled around the wire of the loop. As you drag the rake across the clay the fine wire rapping makes grooves in the clay.

It's a cool effect, because it allows you to make flowing lines around different forms in the body. This then accentuates curvatures, pulls and twists in the body. My tendency is to go for a very smooth look. I'm glad I tried something different here.

The legs are incomplete, I'm not sure why, probably a time constraint. I probably figured it looked better without them, then with what I had.

I know I slapped the hair on very quickly. I wanted to avoid the problems I had with Napping. I really, really like how this hair turned out. It still needs work to clean it up, and it's not giving proper coverage at the back of the head. But this would have been easily correctable.

But unfortunately this one went back to the clay bin.

No comments: